National Archives of Australia
91 Murray Street
HOBART TAS 7000
GPO Box 309, HOBART TAS 7001
9:30am to 5pm Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, closed public holidays.
The reading room will be closed from 25 December 2014 to 1 January 2015 (inclusive). It will re-open on Friday 2 January 2015.
The reading room is shared between the National Archives and the Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office. Researchers can access both Commonwealth and state records from the one location.
All public areas of the National Archives are wheelchair accessible.
Toilets with disabled facilities are available on the ground, first, and second floors.
Visitors with recognised assistance animals, including guide and hearing dogs, are welcome.
The collection in Hobart
The Hobart office holds records similar to other offices – immigration case files, alien registration documentation, inwards and outwards passenger lists, lighthouse logbooks, army pay records, and large-format architectural drawings of Commonwealth buildings in Tasmania. There are collections special to Tasmania, notably records created by the Australian Antarctic Division and the Bureau of Meteorology.
Antarctic records of particular interest include photographs; hydrographic charts and maps; the personal collection of Captain John King Davis, Second-in-Command of Douglas Mawson's 1911–14 expedition; Antarctic voyage and station reports and log books; and records about husky dogs employed on Antarctic expeditions. The meteorological records include a series of tidal readings and meteorological data recorded between 1837–77 at Port Arthur by Thomas Lampiere, the Deputy Assistant Commissary General at the Port Arthur penal settlement.
Further information about the records collection of the Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office can be found at: www.linc.tas.gov.au/global/aboutlinc/information/collections/archives