Service records and attestation papers
The service records held covering the period between the world wars, are summarised in the table below.
|Title or description of record||Date range||Series number|
|PMF (Permanent Military Forces) and Army Militia personnel dossiers||1901–40||B4717|
|Army Militia service records, attestation documents (Form A7)||1901–40||B4747|
What’s in Army militia records?
The composition of dossiers varies considerably. Common documents include:
- militia attestation form (Form A7)
- Permanent Forces attestation (Form A5)
- officers record of service (Form B199)
- personal record card – Permanent Forces (Form A97)
Other documents can include conduct sheets, medical history records, identity photographs, proceedings of discharge, and correspondence concerning aspects of the subject’s service or appointment.
Find and view a record online
You can use NameSearch to try and find a record from the interwar period.
- Go to NameSearch.
- Enter the person’s surname and select 'Pre WWI, Inter war, post WWII' from the dropdown category of records.