Royal Military College, Duntroon – Fact sheet 165
Originally a sheep station, Duntroon property was chosen as the site for Australia's Military College following the government’s acceptance of a recommendation by Lord Kitchener, who had been commissioned in 1910 to report on the defence needs of the new Commonwealth. The Military College was granted the title 'Royal' at its opening on 27 June 1911.
Records held by the National Archives relating to the Royal Military College (RMC) document the transformation of a sheep station and its main buildings, including the imposing Duntroon homestead, into a centre for military education. These records include plans for the design and construction of new facilities and the alteration of existing buildings, photographs featuring the college and events with which it was associated, and a range of administrative files relating to the college's acquisition and development by the Commonwealth government. Some examples of records are listed below.