Government House, Canberra – Fact sheet 166
Government House Canberra, the Governor-General’s Canberra residence, was purchased by the Commonwealth in 1913. The main residence, a fine three-storey building, had been the homestead of the Yarralumla property. Used as living quarters for visiting dignitaries, such as members of parliament, in the years of Canberra’s construction, the Yarralumla residence underwent extensive alterations and additions during 1925–26 to equip it as the Governor-General’s residence on the relocation of the seat of government to Canberra in 1927. Further alterations were made to the building in 1936.
Records relating to Government House
The National Archives in Canberra holds a range of architectural plans and drawings that document the alterations and additions to the Yarralumla residence. Examples of these are included in the tables that follow.