Gorman House, Canberra – Fact sheet 168
Construction commenced on the hostel known to early Canberra as Gorman House in 1924. Originally known as 'Hostel No. 3', or the 'Hotel Ainslie', the hostel was renamed 'Gorman House' in 1927, after Clarence Gorman, an early Federal Capital Commissioner, who had died suddenly earlier that year. Gorman House was designed primarily to accommodate lower paid public servants.
A well-known landmark of inner Canberra, Gorman House operated as a hostel until the 1970s. It has subsequently become a popular centre for theatre and the creative arts.
Records relating to Gorman House
The Archives in Canberra holds a considerable range of records including files, photographs, architectural plans and drawings which relate to the design, construction and subsequent maintenance of Gorman House. Samples of these are listed below.